Thursday, March 27, 2014

Barn Storming.

 Spring Barn, Helvatia (16x20) o/c

Spring is here, after a fairly mild and noticeably short winter. I was able to get out the other night and again the next morning and painted a couple of barns in the Helvatia area here in Oregon. I worked with what was there and kept any touch-ups to a minimum when I got back the the studio...

Century Barn (16x20) o/c

Conferred with a couple of painter friends (one on the east coast and one in the mid-west) whose opinions are that barns are 'stand alone' subject matter; they are a relic and record of the past at the same time as having their own personality in our contemporary world -- like a portrait they have character and style, and like strangers on the street, you pass them by without much thought. These were a joy to paint en plein air and I hope to get out to do it again soon (got one more on my mind out in that area)...

 Thumbnail Sketch (2x2.5)






No comments:

Post a Comment